Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Days of the Knights (Day 7)

We set out from Stovepipe Wells at 8:30 and headed down the road to Artist Drive and then further down the road to the Devil's Golf course and then on down to Badwater. It is literally "down" the road as Badwater is the second lowest place on earth at 279 feet below sea level, second only to the Dead Sea at 400 feet. They are very similar in that both are beds of salt crystals. The area is bleak, and sun scorched. It was there at Badwater we determined that Bob, Ralph and Jim would go their direction while Ben, Jerry Martin and I went ours. After hugs and prayer for safety, we headed up out of Badwater and headed for Tunopah. We had lunch there and it was time to say goodbye once again as Jerry and Martin headed east and we headed west. I also scored when I found one of those small general stores that sell stuff cheaper than anywhere else. I know this sounds silly, but try buying a pair of heavy denim jeans anywhere! I found some in Tunopah! Ben and I set out from there and arrived in Hawthorne Nevada at about 5:00. Although it is a town where they make bombs and bullets, it is
pretty quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment