Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Days of the Knights (Day 9)

Ben and I went to the Tall Town Cafe and Bakery, the same place we'd been for supper. It is the kind of place that the locals gather on a Saturday morning to catch up on all the scuttlebutt and goings on and doings. I would describe the ambience as "early stuff and memorabilia." After eating too much we left Lakeview and headed out for the day's ride through eastern California and Oregon. Although the drive was uneventful, it was nonetheless still beautiful. I travelled through desert sage brush, dunes, more mountain passes at snow level, and eventually on to Vancouver WA. One more sleep till I'm in my own bed again.

I read Bob's blog (PositivelyParkinsons) about relevance. I thought about similar things as I drove through small town after small town. Their common denominator was the obvious fact that their best years were behind them, way behind them. Their glory has faded leaving only the shells of buildings in various stages of decay, and even the ones still in use betray a lack of care and attention. It's like they're all in palliative care. The scary thing is this is the heart and soul of the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment