Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Days of The Knights (Day 1)

These are the days of the Knights of the Open Road June 2011
I left home at about 7:00 am and headed to Lynden to meet the rest of the guys. I arrived there at the appointed gas station at 8:00 and proceeded to gas up and get a coffee. It turned out I got. It for free because when I went to pay with my credit card the clerk informed me that they didn't accept debit or credit for under $5. I had no cash, so she gave it gratis!! Good start.
Bob, Jim and Ralph showed up at about 8:25, gassed up and we were on our way!
The next time we stopped for gas my card was declined, so Jim paid and while enjoying a coffee at Starbucks I called the credit card company and got things sorted out. Traffic was good and we arrived at the Motel 6 in Salem Oregon at about 4:30. We were told there would be a cot. When I phoned I was told there were no cots here. Ben and Bob will be sharing a double bed. Can you say Planes, Trains, and Automobiles?
Ben arrived at about 6:00 and we went for supper to the Almost Home restaurant. We also discovered that it is against the law to ride without helmets in Oregon, something we had done for the short jaunt to the restaurant.
At the restaurant we were joined by two friends of Jim's from Calgary, Martin and Jerry. Jerry broke the news over dinner that had dumped his bike in a corner. He was a little sore and the bike got a little banged up, but it is still driveable.
So our total today from the border was 554km. From home was another 30 or so for about 600km today. The plan is to do about 500 tomorrow. Bob and Ben get to sleep in the double bed. Let the good times roll!!

No comments:

Post a Comment