Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grounded on the Sand


It's been a little while since I was last here. I got back from Alberta on July 9th and after settling back into home that weekend, faced the onslaught of the backlog and catch up of work needing to be done. The glow of a great bike trip would soon be lost in deadlines, demands, and daily details.

Respite came in the form of a weekend at my parent's place at Boundary Bay.

"The Bay" is a special place for me, as it is for my brothers and sisters and most of my relatives on my Mom's side. I can't speak for them, but I can share my thoughts.

The property was bought in the late 40's by my Grandpa for the princely sum of $1500. It sat as an empty lot for a few years until my uncle built a beach cottage on it in the early 50's. Although both uncles and their lived there briefly at different times, it was primarily a sanctuary for my Grandpa. In the early days he would take the family out from Vancouver but later he would drive from his house on the bluff to sit on a bench he placed in the trees at the front of the property overlooking the water.


It was routine from the time I was born to spend time at the Bay. One month each summer was spent in the beach house, enjoying the sun, surf, and sand. Lifelong friendships were established, family reconnected and the finest fare that was ever gleaned from the sea was regularly consumed. Much of what was good in my growing up years was associated with the Bay. So much more could be said. Perhaps another time.

When my grandpa died, my mom inherited the beach property and the by now, old beach house was torn down. My parents built their current place on the property. The new place on the old property became the gathering place and a place of retreat and respite for us all. It became the place for regular family gatherings on holidays and any other excuse we could think of. As much as possible the family still gathers in whole or in part, now down to the 5th generation. Again, so much more could be written, but I'm just trying to provide a context.

It is because of this context that the Bay is a place of respite.
A place with personal and family history. A place where laughter and tears have echoed for six decades now. And it is through retreating back to that welcome place periodically that I have often sharpened my focus, renewed my soul, and regrounded my spirit for everyday life.

And so I'll go back again and again.

Including this weekend.






1 comment:

  1. Steve;

    Marvelous! Makes me feel more relaxed just reading about it.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete